I’ll admit it. I love artichoke hearts! I love them so much that when I actually found cans of them at the Dollar Tree…I bought 20 of them. I excitedly brought them home and placed them in my pantry while dreaming of the wonderful recipes that I would create with them. That was last year. Apparently I only created artichoke spectacular~ness about 10 times in the last year because as we were cleaning out the pantry over the weekend we found 10 cans that have an expiration date of May 2014. Luckily, hubby loves artichoke hearts as much as I do so not a problem. That night we started off with baked artichoke hearts. Delish! Last night I created an Artichoke/Spinach/Chicken pizza that was quite fantastic. Even hubs managed to mumble the words “holy cow this is good” between bites. Here’s what I did:
Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pizza
- 1 pizza crust of your choice (homemade or store bought)
- 1 can of artichoke hearts (or 1 bag frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 small onion (or half of a large one) ~ diced
- 1 large skinless boneless chicken breast (or about 8 chicken tenders)
- 2 cloves of garlic ~ minced
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 package cream cheese (light or regular)
- 1 box frozen spinach (thawed and water squeezed out)
- 2 cups (or more!) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet, cook your chicken in a drizzle of olive oil on medium heat until cooked through, turning once. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer cooked chicken to a paper towel to drain and cool. Cut or shred chicken into bite-sized pieces
- In a medium skillet or saucepan heat onion and garlic in the butter until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add cream cheese to onion mixture and heat just until cream cheese is melted. (stirring often)
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add artichoke hearts to melted cream cheese. Stir. Heat for one minute.
- Stir in spinach to melted cream cheese mixture. Heat for one minute longer.
- Roll out your pizza crust onto lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto pizza crust. Spread to within 1/2 inch of the end of crust.
- Place chicken pieces on top of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella on top of that, then topping with the parmesan.
- Place into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is desired crispiness.
Next up…I’m thinking an artichoke crostini with some of that yummy peasant bread that I made earlier in the week!
Side note: This is what it looked like outside of my kitchen window this morning. Wind chill is in the single digits. Lord only knows when I’ll get to my garden. I have the itch terribly!!