Did you ever notice that sometimes the most simple of things are the best? Well, when it comes to cooking, that seems to be the case quite a bit. Take for instance this simple, frugal salad. Two main ingredients plus a dressing. And POW…full of flavor. This is my “new recipe of the week” that I tried (and tweaked) to fit my taste. Here goes:
Apple Lettuce Salad w/ Fruit Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened fruit juice (apple, pear, pineapple etc.) I used pomegranate because I had it on hand.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (don’t use if you’re using citrus for your primary juice)
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 4 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (I used honey mustard and it came out great)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium green apple, chopped
- 6 cups torn lettuce
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients until blended. Add apples and toss to coat.
- Place lettuce over the apple mixture (do not toss).
- Refrigerate; toss right before serving.
- Top with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and/or ground pecans. (optional)
- Serves 6
This recipe can easily be halved and is a great lunch salad! I found this recipe in an old copy of Taste of Home magazine (2003). They used apple juice and did not include any nuts.
If you’re looking for something light, easy, frugal and full of flavor this salad is for you! I’m putting this one on the regular rotation schedule for sure.