You know those times that you need an unexpected gift? Like for instance, you’re invited to a Christmas party but don’t know your host all that well. Infused vodkas can save the day. They are the easiest things in the world to make and will impress anyone of your recipients.
Here’s what you do:
- Choose a medium grade vodka or higher. This will assure a great tasting final product.
- Let your imagine run wild. Choose flavors that are versatile or fun. Here’s some ideas to get you started:
- Lemons (sliced)
- Tarragon (fresh)
- Red Hot Candies
- Jalapenos (halved)
- Apples (sliced or diced)
- Pears (sliced or diced)
- Vanilla Beans (sliced in half lengthwise)
- Coffee Beans
- Cinnamon sticks
3. Simply add your flavor ingredient to a clean, dry glass container that has a tightly fitting lid. (mason jars work great) and pour the vodka over the ingredient and secure the lid. Note: How much of your flavor ingredients used will depend on how strong you’d like the flavor to be and how large your container is.
Now you wait. Put your containers in a cool dark place (the back of a cupboard works nicely). Shake the containers a little every two days or so to make sure the flavors are distributing evenly. When the vodkas are infused, they will need to be strained through a cheesecloth or coffee filter. If you leave your flavor ingredients in the vodka, they may turn bitter and ruin the whole bottle.
Here’s a guideline on how long you should wait before straining:
- Fresh herbs, vanilla beans or citrus fruits … 3-4 days.
- Tree fruits or berries … 1 week.
- Hot peppers, cinnamon sticks and candies … 2 weeks.
Today I made cranberry, candy cane and caramel infused vodkas. Here’s a picture of what they looked like a few minutes after adding the vodka. As you can see, the flavors start to infuse almost right away…
After your vodkas are strained and poured into your container of choice for gift giving, make a cute little label and store back in a cool dark place. Now you have something to keep in your stash closet for those times that you need a “go-to” gift in a jiffy!