I call this type of dish a “Round Two” recipe. That’s because it’s made mostly from leftovers or bits and pieces from other meals. I found myself having about a little bit of taco meat leftover, along with a smidgen of cheddar cheese from taco night earlier in the week. I detest waste, so I wanted to use it up. Here’s what I came up with:
Taco Egg Bake
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- 1/2 cup leftover taco meat (or sub 1/4 cup cooked ground beef and 1 tsp taco seasoning)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or cut into small bits
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/8 cup minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl, mix lightly with a fork.
- Add the milk and mix lightly again.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate.
- Pour mixture into the pie plate.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until set.
You can top your slices with salsa, guacamole, sour cream or anything else you can think of! The great part about this recipe is its versatility. You can literally throw any kind of leftovers into it. Just stick to the same amount of eggs and milk and let your imagination go wild with the rest! How about ham, broccoli and american cheese? Maybe hot sausage, green peppers and onions? Whatever you have left over, consider using this as your Round Two recipe!