Summer is upon us. I don’t know about you, but when I was a kid…summer meant lots of Kool-Aid to quench our thirst. I must say, my kids didn’t get a lot of Kool-Aid because I was concerned about the sugar, etc. But no matter what, summer still reminds me of Kool-Aid. With that in mind, here’s a fun thing to make for that next summer picnic (or just to brighten up your fridge) Kool-Aid Pickles! They are insanely easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A 32-ounce jar of pickles (whole dill pickles)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 envelope (.14 ounce) unsweetened Kool-Aid (your color choice…I went with red)
And here’s how you make them:
- Drain the pickle juice from the jar into a bowl.
- Slice the pickles and return them to the jar.
- Add the sugar and Kool-Aid to the juice bowl. Mix until the sugar and Kool-Aid are dissolved.
- Pour the juice back into the jar over the pickles.
- Wait one week for your pickles to turn a fabulous color!
This will obviously make those dill pickles sweeter, but they’re not over-the-top sweet like regular sweet pickles, so they can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
I’m going to serve mine in a glass pitcher with a plastic spoon…just like I was mixing up Kool-Aid!
P.S. I have never tried this with a generic drink mix, so I can’t attest to how they work. I’m also thinking that if you didn’t want to use a powdered drink mix due to the ingredients, that mixing in beet juice with a little extra sugar would work just fine to make red ones. I’ll have to try that out some day!